Friday 25 May 2012

To Blog or Not to Blog?

Since starting this blog (just yesterday), I have been given a few different opinions on blogging. Some good, some not so good. So, it got me thinking.... What is the point of a blog for me? Why bother?

Well, this year has been for sure the biggest, most influential year of learning I have had in my short career as a teacher. I started playing around with Twitter and I quickly found a ton of resources, insights and opinions about teaching and learning. My head begun to spin shortly after. How the heck could I store all this new information? How could I process it and even begin to think about how I might take new these new ideas and use them in the classroom.

One of big goals this year has been to find an effective way to make the learning (and teaching) that happens in my classroom more visible. My blogging venture will help make this more of a reality.

After being involved in a professional development series within our area, I begun to network with people in different schools that are in a similar position to me. Through face-to-face discussion the idea of blogging as a way to reflect on what I learn begun to take shape. My main problem was how I might possibly find the time to blog. After thinking and thinking and having a day to play, I took the chance. Why not!??

My questions for others would be:

  • Why do you blog? 
  • What do you get out of it?
  • What's the point?
  • Is it worth it?

2 comments:

  1. 1. I blog to share.
    2. I blog to reflect.
    3. I blog to document my learning. What I posted in 2009 is very different than what I post in 2012.
    4. I blog to model regular writing and reflection for my children.
    5. I appreciate an audience, although small, for the ideas that are important to me.

    Share. Reflect. Document. Model. Celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being the first to comment on MY blog. I like #4 - Modeling to your students I'm excited to be heading in the new direction! Also to expand my PLN - Hope you're enjoying #connectedca - I'm jealous!!

    ReplyDelete